Time went by pretty fast this year. Winter has already arrived and it was October when I gave my Guzzi a last go on a sunny day – there were not too many of them recently. This means that my V7 is now back in the garage to receive some TLC over the cold months. Well, there are no major problems to fix but some tiny issues are always around with an Italian lady aged 42… So what´s to do?
- Give it a proper cleaning.
- Drain the carbs.
- Charge the battery.
- Pump up the tires.
- Replace the fuel pipes.
- Repair the 12 volt plug.
- Solve the turning light issue.
- Find a solution for the leaking tank filler neck.
- Reanimate the rev counter light.
- Pass the TÜV inspection (which already expired in late summer…).
- I also acquired a set of used rears shocks to fiddle around with over winter but that’s a different story.
You´re right: The first four points were no task at all which lead me to the fuel pipes. I changed them already in September but the new hardware was completely rubbish. The pipes got milky within seconds after first fuel contact and they hardened over time, making them plastic by now. Well, don´t trust any labeling… Luckily, I found some “real” 7 mm fuel pipes on Ebay which promise to keep their transparency as well as flexibility. One meter is just enough for my Guzzi installation. The pipes were cut down, connected and arranged within minutes. Easy job that!
Bullet point number six took a little longer: I installed a 12 volt plug for navigation and camera supply some time ago but the 90 degree plastic mount on the generator cover was not solid enough for my application. Might be that I was a little too rude… 😉 However, a replacement of the same type would just have been from the same (lacking) quality. This is why I went for a stainless steel custom piece.
Some 2 mm raw sheet metal was still around in my garage from former Guzzi Le Mans custom days – I created instrument panels from that. Now, I made a quick sketch on the surface and did a manual cut with a very bity hacksaw. This was followed by drilling several holes into the metal in order to reduce the amount of material. The perforated metal was then grinded with a round file to its final circular shape – all by hand. 5 °C in my workshop never felt that warm before… 🙂 Four 4 mm holes for the mounting screws were the last bit of work after a final rectangular bend, giving this piece a proper design. May be that this mount will not win any craftsmanship prize but it suffices my needs completely, will last longer (hopefully…) and fits quite well under the fuel tank. 12 volts are there, again!
The next issues will be solved over the next weeks and months to get the old rumbler back on track by February or March…