Nearly Finished (ehm, no!)

Major work has been done over the last weeks to complete my Guzzi „winter restoration“. Well, it´s July already, so I had to hurry…

Bodywork

I put the bike on the lift to remove the wheels, because it was not possible to mount the fenders correctly with tires in place (no space for a spanner). The brake and clutch cable received a proper dose of grease before being mounted. And the tail light, with new paint and renewed electrics, found its´ place on the rear fender. A transparent rubber hose acts as vibration damper for the license plate.

More small issues were solved: Side cases were mounted, rotten battery mounts replaced by DIY stainless steel ones, the gas tank fitted with new rubbers and reworked sockets. So, all in all, the biked looked like a proper V7 again.

Exhaust

The installation of the new stainless steel exhaust (without headers), manufactured by Armour Motor Products from the UK, was not straight forward. The overall quality is fine, but the squeezing ends are not machined precisely. This brings up a few problems: It does not seal properly, so I fitted the mounting areas with a used mesh from an MGB car heater. Plus, the complete exhaust is mounted under tension – something you just do not want. I addressed this with a slight cut of the connection tube, but might need to do a little more sooner or later.

The sound though is brilliant. The pipes make more noise, deep and with a proper rumble. They are of the absorption type, so you can see from one end to the other, letting more Decibels pass the silencer. This video might give you a first impression.

 

Carbs

The VHB 29 carbs were cleaned in an ultra-sonic bath a while ago. I installed a new set of seals and replaced the choke cables. Unfortunately, they were longer than the old ones. So I opted for the build of an alloy distance tube instead of cutting and re-brazing the bowden cables themselves. This solution works fine until yet.

A personal highlight is the light blue rubber hose for the gas (Simson accessory), matching the Vignale blue tone of the tank.

 

Electrics

This is not my biggest strength…

Rewiring the starter motor and replacing old ignition cables with new ones (again, a nice red touch for the fabric skin, matching the gas tank logo) was not easy, having a good soldering gun and according pliers at hand.

But I had quite a struggle connecting the new ignition lock (with starter function!) to the old wiring harness. The allocation of contacts was not very clear to me. Some hot wires and a few sparks later – and the job was done.

The dashboard was covered in wrinkle paint a while ago. But I did not consider the (unnessessary) turning light holes that some idiot drilled into it before I bought the bike. They were a thorn in my side. So I glued and filled the holes to close them, sanded everything down again and applied a new layer of wrinkle paint. The result looks stunning, with the old BOSCH lock cover, new bulbs and a polished stainless steel washer to cover the lock mounting in style.

By the way, a TOP TIP I heard from friends to improve the wrinkle effect on vintage motorbike parts: Apply the color and immediately warm it up with a (very) hot fan. The air will harden the paint within minutes – and this super-fast process helps the wrinkles to be rough and evenly distributed on all areas. It really works.

 

There are only a few more bits here, some fine-tuning there and my Guzzi is back to life. Cross your fingers that I will finish the work within the next weeks… 😉

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s